Direct Metal Laser Sintering
On-demand Metal Parts with Exceptional Mechanical Properties and High Precision
Create highly complex fully functional parts that would be impossible to create with traditional machining or casting.
Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) is allowing engineers and manufacturing companies the freedom to design and quickly create “impossible” parts that could not be created otherwise. This includes extremely lightweight geometries that are optimized for performance, ultra-light “all-in-one” metal assemblies with internal features, supports, and lattice structures, as well as fully dense metal parts.
DMLS can create an endlessly wide range of metal part shapes using a wide variety of metal powders. Metals commonly used in DMLS include aluminum, cobalt chrome, titanium, Inconel, nickel, and 316 stainless steel. Many “super alloy” materials can be processed with DMLS that are extremely hard and expensive to manufacture with conventional manufacturing methods. Producing these types of parts with DMLS leads to significant time and cost savings, and yields “net shape” parts that require minimal secondary finishing and/or machining.
The DMLS process involves an extremely high-power laser that is focused on the surface of a bed of metal powder. As it traces the outline and interior area of a single part layer, it sinters (melts) the metal powder together on a molecular level. Layer by layer, a three-dimensional object is created. This is the same process used with plastic powder laser sintering, but using a much higher-power laser.
After the DMLS printing process is complete, secondary post-processing steps are required before printed metal parts are ready to use. These steps include:
- Cutting the metal part away from the metal plate they were built on
- Stress-relieving the metal part by cycling it to a high temperature
- Manually removing metal supports that were built with the part to hold it during the build
- Machining, smoothing, and/or polishing to achieve the desired surface finish and critical part tolerances
“How many times would you like me to type, ‘awesome’?”
“I’d like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude...
… to you and your team for your great performance and support. Keep up the good work, and we hope for more business transactions with your company in the future.”
“Once again, thanks for coming through in the clutch.”
InterPRO Direct Metal Laser Sintering Benefits & Applications
- Expensive tooling and months of labor can be eliminated
- Create complex parts that would be impossible to produce by traditional means
- Weight savings and improved performance
- Multiple part assemblies can be combined into one part
- Increased part strength
- Speed – parts in under one week
- Stainless Steel 17-4 PH
- Stainless Steel 316L
- Cobalt Chrome
You’re No Longer Limited by Conventional Manufacturing.
Request a quote today and let’s get started.